The Complete Office Party Checklist
As the official party planner, you have a big job. Let’s face it, office parties have a reputation for being
awkward, uncomfortable or even inappropriate. Your primary objective is to create an environment where your
co-workers stop talking about work and start interacting as friends. Pulling this off requires some very
careful planning with lots of great food, games and personalized party accessories! To help you with this
tall task, we’ve created a complete office party planning checklist.
Before we begin, let’s review the BAM rule of workplace parties…
Boss – Your boss is still your boss.
Alcohol – Pace yourself! Too much is not a good idea.
Monday – Remember, you’re going to have to go back to the office!
Two Months Before the Work Party
- Establish a party planning committee to help with all the fun details!
- Set a date and reserve a party venue.
- Get a final budget from the boss – it helps to go into the meeting with an idea of what you want and how much it's going to cost.
- Make arrangements with caterer and/or bar service. Other entertainment to consider:
- DJ or live band
- Karaoke machine
- Photo booth
- Nintendo Wii
One Month Before the Party
- Meet with the party planning committee to brainstorm fun games and ice breakers.
- Design and order custom napkins, personalized coasters and cups – Not sure how many to order? See our Product Ordering Guidelines!
- Send out party invitations. This is a party, not a meeting. Make sure you’re sending party invitations and not an office memo! Things to include in the invitations:
- Date and time
- Kids, spouses or employees only
- Food and drink details
- Dress code or party theme
- Door prizes, games and other exciting details!
Three Weeks Before the Party
- Create a food and drink menu.
- Write out a grocery list of everything you still need.
- Delegate the following responsibilities to members of the planning party committee:
- Food, Drinks
- Plan party decorations and table centerpieces.
- Order party favors and door prizes – office swag doesn’t count!
Two Weeks Before the Party
- Send out an email reminding coworkers of the party. Throw in some party details to build some hype! Ask for RSVPs if that matters.
- Make nametags, a seating chart and custom place cards.
- Create a party playlist – ask coworkers for input!
- Order a custom cake or cupcakes from your favorite bakery – design custom take-home boxes for leftovers!
One Week Before the Party
- Make a list of equipment you still need (chairs, tables, tent, etc.).
- Call the venue, caterer and other vendors to confirm that everything is all set.
- Pick up some business cards from a local cab company. Leave these out at the party.
1-2 Days Before the Party
- Head to the venue to set up tables, chair and decorations.
- Charge your camera and clear memory for more photos/videos.
- Set out several large trash bins with extra bags in the bottom.
- Hit the grocery store for food, drinks and anything else that's still on your list.
- Prepare any recipes that will hold until the party – prep anything that can be prepped!
- Ask (or beg) the boss to let everyone out of work a few hours early.
Party Day is Here!
- Send out a final email reminding everyone about the party.
- Ask a few coworkers if they wouldn’t mind cleaning up after the party is over.
- Label coolers and fill with plenty of ice.
- Check bathrooms for toilet paper, towels, custom matchbooks, toothpicks, etc.
- Set out food, cups, napkins, plates and utensils.
- Prepare the music, games and entertainment.
- Enjoy yourself and take lots of photos!
A successful party is the result of careful planning. However, we believe it’s your attention to detail and personalization that makes it truly memorable. Use the Office Party Checklist to your full advantage and explore other party themes and custom accessories on ForYourParty.com!